Sunday, January 19, 2014

Week 19

Well, it happened! This week I passed my first "mission milestone!" Elder Nielsen bought me a pizza to celebrate! Looking back, it seems like it's been a lifetime, but everyone says that these next couple months pass by the fastest, so we'll see! I got several Christmas cards from the wonderful members of Vacaville 3rd ward as well as others. Thank you all for your thoughtfulness and love!
This week was, as usual, hot and uneventful. Our baptism for next Saturday fell through because he didnt go to church, so we're going to pass by today and teach about keeping the Sabbath Day holy again and hopefully we'll be having a baptism soon!
We had a cool experience yesterday about the power of the Book of Mormon. We were speaking to a woman that had received the missionaries in the past and I began to get frustrated with her. We had been talking to her for several minutes and she didnt want anything to do with us. She told us that she would never leave her church, even if the same exact church that Jesus Christ established was on the earth today. I was shocked and this and asked her if she had read the Book of Mormon, and she said that she hadn't and that she never would. At that moment it started pouring rain and we asked if we could step inside for a moment to escape the down pour. She said we could, and once we were under the overhang I asked if she could get the Book of Mormon that the missionaries had given her. Thinking that we wanted it back, she went and retrieved it. I silently thanked Heavenly Father for the opportunity He had given us, and when she returned we read a couple verses with her. Her entire demeanor changed and she accepted to read a part of it and pray about it. My arguments and logic had absolutely no effect on her, but the power of the Book of Mormon opened her heart to the promptings of the Holy Ghost. While I can't promise that I won't ever try to convince someone of the  truthfulness of this gospel again, I can promise that I have seen firsthand the convincing and converting power of the Book of Mormon.
Ate mais!
Elder Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment